The historic Power House Theatre is a world-class, 342-seat performing arts theatre located in downtown Walla Walla, Washington. The 120 year-old building was once the Walla Walla Gas Plant, originally built to produce coal gas and pipe it underground to light the streets, businesses and homes of Walla Walla. The building was converted to generate electricity around the year 1905 by installing steam driven dynamos and transformers. In 2011, the interior of the building was transformed into a state-of-the-art performing arts theater. The interior design, featuring a thrust stage and balcony seating, was inspired by the intimate Blackfriars Theatre in London, England which William Shakespeare and his acting company began using in 1608. Formerly a de-commissioned monastery, the Blackfriars Theatre's interior was transformed into the winter indoor performance space of the King’s Men, where Shakespeare's plays were produced regularly for over thirty years. The Power House Theatre is named by the Washington State Building Preservation Commission to the list of the State historic buildings and in January 2012 the theatre was officially accepted to the National Register of Historic Places. The theatre stages professional productions featuring the works of William Shakespeare as well as productions devoted to classical music and popular entertainment.
Visit them at www.PHTWW.com
Power House Theatre
Convenient lodging for Shakespeare Walla Walla is available at the Marcus Whitman Hotel.
For more information on activities and lodging while in Walla Walla, please visit Tourism Walla Walla online, or stop by the visitor window located at 26 E. Main Street, downtown Walla Walla.